April 17, 2009

Let the Bodies Hit the Floor

Sure, they're dying, but am I doing it right?

Yesterday my sister-in-law and I cut a swath of destruction through Blade's Edge Mountains and the opening zones of Northrend. She hasn't seen much of the high level zones from an Alliance perspective, but I was there to make sure she didn't run into the wrong town or something. And I fully expect the same treatment when my belf hunter starts hitting the iffy areas.

So, Dinkydeath and Jerasha went wandering, an unholy DK and a ret pally, from level 67 to almost 70. We were plate-wearing machines, tearing through anything else like tissue paper.

At some point she yelled at me from the other room. "Every time your spells go off, I keep thinking they're mine!"

This made me laugh. She's the one with the death knight, but her main is a blood elf paladin. My, uh, prefered character is my death knight. So, for about a half our before she said something, I was reminding myself that no, I was not the one casting Icy Touch. (And no, I shouldn't expect my little judgment hammer to reach that far.)

This brings me to my point. We were killing things easily, but I haven't spent much time on my paladin since the whole class was completely revamped. On single targets I'm doing my little judgment of light, hitting them with a crusader strike, and... Well, Dinky finishes them off before crusader strike is off cooldown. If I'm really bored, I'll cast my divine storm, but that's a little bit of a waste. It makes life interesting when it turns a single pull into a multiple pull, though. Gotta love those passive shoveltusk...

At level 69, is that really it? Is that all there is for a ret paladin? I've got my seal of the martyr up, I pop myself with a flash heal when art of war procs or between fights if I need it, and...

And...

Do all ret pallies just sit there and autoattack while they wait for cooldowns? This feels really weird after playing my DK for so long. I suppose it's an improvment over making myself a sandwich as a prot pally at the height of BC, back when I hit the Plaguelands, but it still feels like I'm not doing enough.

Let me tell you, though. Two dps in plate questing together make short work of everything. Even between cooldowns, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

7 comments:

Borin said...

Yes, thats what they do. The Ret pally rotation is FCFS as in First come first serve. First cooldown up, hit it, wait for the next, hit it.

Essentially you'll be using judgement, cs, DS, exorcism, concecrate. Essentially with that priority unless there are more then one, in which case concecrate and DS get moved up a little.

I wouldn't bother with concecrate on single mobs, bu DS is still worth it in most cases.

Tam said...

So, I'm allowed to DS more often, but other than that I've got it right?

Weird...

I'm going to have to say that paladins are the most unique class in the game. ^_^

Sindorella said...

PALLY DK TEAM FTW!

Today... Ahoy 70! YARR!

Sindorella said...

And yes, that is how you play a ret pally. LOL! Not that prot pallies are much different. Six second cooldowns bite my ass.

Borin said...

Don't forget the 9 second ones as well.

69696969696969...... oh the boss is dead. Yay us! Pally tanking is super easy, bust shhh don't tell anyone. I seem less impressive that way.

Tam said...

WAIT A MINUTE! Are you having sex, or playing a paladin? o.o

Borin said...

Which is more impressive? Then I choose that one.

But thats the Pally tank rotation... seriously. 6969. We're a fun class aren't we?