December 24, 2009

Polite Alting

Sadly, I've let all the time I used to spend on this blog get bumped by going back to school. I'm sure people have stopped checking in here, so I'll probably have to build up my reader base again. To anyone who stuck around, thank you! I can't blame anyone who didn't, however. When I started playing, there was a rule in my first guild that was repeated often and I still stick to it. Real life comes first. It sucks sometimes, and it's not much fun, but it's something we've all got to keep in mind.

By the time I finish my assignments, I'm itching to play the game! Not write about it. However, I've missed my little corner of the internet. I don't want my blog to die. To that end, I'm working on inviting another author who knows more about altitis than I do. He's got two accounts full of characters, and more 80s than I can keep track of some days. I'll let him introduce himself when he starts on later.




Enough about me. How about something worth talking about?

If you have multiple characters at max level, you've probably heard some grumbles from others. I've been accused of having no life, or being selfish because I want more loot for more characters. I've had it pointed out that that's why I can't make gold in game, and other things.

It's true. I've got epic and cold weather flying on six characters, and I'm saving up for my seventh. I've got the Little Fawn's Salt Lick on my druid and I'm always looking for more pets. I'm close to maxed on all available professions, and some of them I didn't pat an eye at dropping ridiculous amounts of gold to level. I'm usually out of gold or saving toward a huge purchase.

I love spending that gold on alts, usually for convenience. The day I don't have a goal in game is the day I'll probably stop playing. It might leave me with less on my "main" than other people have on their one and only, but I'm okay with that. This is how I enjoy the game. However, as I said before, there are grumbles.

In order to keep the grumbles to a minimum, I've got some guidelines I like to stick to based on conventions in my guild.

  • Pick a main. This one was HARD after I retired my shaman. Sometimes you get to enjoy the game however you want to. Sometimes your main gets picked for you due to circumstances and raid composition. I fought against having my druid be my main for a very long time, because she was only healing so that we wouldn't have to bench our new group a year ago. Now I couldn't imagine seeing ICC without her going in first.
  • Mains get priority. Don't be selfish. If it's an upgrade for your alt, awesome. If it's an upgrade for someone's main, even if it's less of an upgrade, pass. If an ilevel 245 item drops and you're set to replace your last blue, but someone's main is replacing a 232, respect that person's main. Please.
  • Gems and enchants over extras. Yes, yes. You're 200g away from epic flying on your 27th character, and you can taste that speed boost! But, you won a new staff and bought your t9 legs and they're an upgrade even without gems, enchants, or a spellthread. Take care of your main's gear first, please. New mounts, pets, or increased speed only benefit you, while increasing your main's stats will benefit your friends.
  • Don't be obnoxious. It's fine to ask for people to run you through lowbie instances, or to carry you through heroics when you first hit 80. It's not okay to demand, or expect others to drop everything to help you out right this very second or else. Your alt may be your new favorite, but you'll be everyone's least favorite if you expect everyone to drop everything for your flavor of the month.
Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any suggestions of ideas for polite alting, leave a comment!

No comments: