February 25, 2009

D&D (Death and Decay)

Meet Weeinsanity, my baby Death Knight. Isn't she cute?

If you scroll down/look through the archives, you'll see how much I worried about creating a Death Knight in the first place. I AGONIZED over it for months, before I got a beta invite and got to try one "for free". It was a throwaway character, at first. I wasn't sure in the least that I'd be happy with the class, especially after the druid tanking fiasco I was still recovering from at the time. Top that off with never having gotten a melee dps class up past 20 and I was ready to resent having to take up a character slot with a death knight.

Fast forward to beta. Here I was, playing around on Northrend with my shaman, my main, my baby. I loved all my characters, but Shavra was special. We had something, some spark, that made all others pale in comparison. But, I couldn't play her all the time, especially since Northrend wasn't entirely stable. So, I bit the bullet and made a DK. First, I made her a gnome, since I knew I wouldn't be able to keep her after beta ended. No problem! Everybody hates gnomes. They're for punting. I just knew I'd never love a gnome so much that I'd be sad to get rid of her in a few months. Auregwynn was born, and terrorized Outlands whenever Northrend was unplayable.

I didn't think too much of her at first. Sure, the starting zone was fun enough. I knew I'd be making a DK on live, and I knew I wouldn't regret it. It was different, and it took a bit of getting used to, but on beta I had a lot of the best minds to pick from browsing forums or doing the occasional instance. Some people had gotten in on merit rather than luck (like me) and I was happy to learn at their feet!

In that time, shamans started getting the shaft. In particular, elemental shamans were being left in the dust, and Shavra was as elemental as they got. I played around with enhancement on her, in beta, and while I liked it well enough I just wasn't happy. So, I spent more and more time escaping to Auregwynn. With this fresh new class, the game was fun again! I got big crits, and I was learning something that would put me ahead of the game! I could be useful and innovative! Hell, that's part of what attracted me to Shavra in the first place. As I leveled, most Alliance players didn't know a thing about shamans, so I got to break new ground! I get a great deal of satisfaction from that.

I planned on sticking with the name Auregwynn on live, and playing a gnome had grown on me (like some sort of fungus, I suppose.) I sat around, waiting for Raven to bring home our copies of Wrath, and a gnome warlock friend of mine sat around talking with me about names and plans and stuff. I mentioned that the only other gnome I'd played before had been a warrior that got deleted at 20 named "Weeinsanity". He laughed over the name. My sis-in-law, Sindorella, also got a giggle out of it. And, in an instant, Auregwynn became Wee. In the back of my head she's still Auregwynn, and Wee is her nickname, but since I'm not on an RP server it's a little hard to get that idea across.

My DK is still my favorite. I love her little dead heart to bits and pieces. Oh, and trust me. She's quite dead. Er, undead. Whatever. I went with one of the dead faces to hammer home the point. Nothing like gnome rot in the morning!

Of course, everyone is playing a DK these days. Death Knights are the new "huntards". I'm awesome at playing her, of course, but it's hard to get a chance to show it. It's going to take a miracle for her to get a piece of raid gear. Seeing the inside of Naxx is just out of the picture. But, she's my main in my heart, where it counts.

Keep on striving, my wee little Wee. At least you're good for farming... /sigh

No comments: