September 22, 2016

So I pick a new "main" each expansion...haha

I feel like the title of this post is a setup for a joke.  I don't have a punchline, sorry.  Or, perhaps I am the punchline.

The thing is, I didn't plan to race to 110 with my new Demon Hunter first.  I was going to go full circle back to my shaman, or perhaps finally tank with my paladin like I'd always wanted to do.  I'd had so many ideas of what I wanted to do.

I didn't want to fall in love with another hero class.  I'd done that once already, and fell out of love just as quickly.  I wanted to raid, and I thought the only way I'd get a guaranteed spot at the time was to be a healer.  So, in Wrath, I healed instead of playing the Death Knight I'd so loved.  It's probably a good thing.  I wasn't a very good DK.  There were just some tricks I never got the hang of, and I lost track of class changes fairly quickly with that one.  Once Arthas was dead my fascination simply waned.

So, I had a feeling that the DH would be more of the same.  I'd love the tragic darkness of the backstory, but I'd move on fairly fast.

The problem is, I love the mechanics of playing my DH.  Kalalin, pictured above, is a Vengeance DH, the tanking spec for anyone who hasn't kept up.  When I tried tanking on my DK in Wrath I did a poor job of it.  I didn't want to keep track of what abilities would do what to help, and when to use them best, and blah blah blah.  I was impatient.  I wanted to smash stuff and never die.

(Come to think of it, that's something I love about my DH.  Oh, and my Paladin that I leveled prot.  Oh, and my shaman that I leveled resto.  Um...)

The DH class is really rather intuitive for me, though.  Leaping into the fray and face smashing things gives me an unholy glee, to be sure, but the mechanics are smooth and actually kinda pretty to look at.  I don't have macros and keybinds set up yet, but if I tank more I'll be doing that.  I've never really been willing to do that for any other class, because I was always afraid it wouldn't be enough reward to justify the time investment, especially trying to learn a new thing and keep it straight in my mind.  I think this would be worth the time investment, though, even if all I'm doing is instances and not raids.

The story, of course, is captivating.  If you haven't tried a DH yet, I recommend at least getting through the starting zone once.  Delete after that if you must, but give it a try if you're even at least a little bit interested in WoW lore.  I have a Night Elf DH I went with Altruis on, and being the RP nut that I am (even though I'm not on an RP server), I have a budding backstory that explains why she chose him.  I have a Blood Elf Havoc DH, too, and I chose Kayn there so I can compare and contrast the experience.  I expect it to be an interesting diversion when I have time to get to my Belf.

Also, I leveled my first DH as Vengeance all the way to 110, only going into an instance once.  It was a lot less painful than I expected, especially after the experience of leveling a Prot Paladin through BC.  The leveling experience in this expansion has greatly improved over previous ones, for sure!

I've got three alts on deck to be my next 110.  I plan on talking about the leveling experience with each class as I go, so I suppose I'd better decide on one soon.

Nobody said having Altitis was easy...

No comments: